How to set a default template for system emails is quite confusing

jmbjmb
edited October 2015 in Newsletter plugin

I have a usability complaint/suggestion:

I spent too much time trying to figure out how to change the WordPress system emails to use the default Newsletter template. Why? Because there are 'Set as Send Default' and 'Set as System Default' options on the Manage Templates settings page. Well, hey, that sounds completely reasonable. But, that won't do it. Instead, you have to go to the System tab (NOT the System Emails tab) and select a template from the 'WordPress Related' section. I think this is needlessly confusing and, I still am left wondering what the 'Set as System Default' option actually does in the Manage Templates setting section.

By the way, speaking of the Manage Templates settings page, even after reading your tutorials I still don't fully understand when you would and wouldn't want to select the 'Use a styled, default template for newsletters and system emails' option. You select that when you DO want to use one of the templates or when you don't (and thus, some unknown system default template is used?). Really unclear.

So, I suggest you (1) make it simpler to set the defaults and (2) write a tutorial/article explaining the proper procedure.

Don't misunderstand, so far I love your product, this is just one thing that left me scratching my head. Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down

@jmb

My aplogy for your confusion.

Set as system default -You can set any one of your newsletter templates as system default if you want your system emails, eg. subscriber notifications etc. to include the newsletter template.

Set as send default - You can set any one of your newsletter templates as send default. It will then automatically includes the selected template when creating and sending a newsletter. 

Use a styled, default template for newsletters and system emails- If you haven't select any system default and send default email templates, you select this option and it will use a default, styled template in the newsletter plugin. If you do have a default system and send email selected, it will use that template, then you don't have to select this checkbox. Alternatively you can set a template per system email under Newsletter>Configuration- System emails. 

Regards

Marietha

• Vote Up0Vote Down

@jmb

Sorry for the confusion caused, I'm sure we can simplify the plugin a bit in this area.

In short, the system emails under Newsletters > Configuration > System Emails are set to "Default" by default which means it will use the "System Default" newsletter template set under Newsletters > Templates. You then have the option to change the template on each system email to a different one if needed.

Does it not work this way for you though? If not, please let me know so that we can test thorougly and see if there is a problem? There isn't any known problem on this at the moment that we're aware of though.

I look forward to your response.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

Thanks for the quick replies. I think a big problem is simply semantics since there are "system" emails specific to your plugin (e.g., unsubscribe) and there are "system" emails for WordPress. I am not sure what is the clearest way to deal with these, but perhaps put the WordPress emails option, which is currently in the System tab in the System Emails tab instead?

Also, maybe I am missing something, but why even have the 'Use a styled, default template for newsletters and system emails' option? Since you include 10-11 templates already, why not just declare one of those the default and let us change it if we are so inclined. Then, IF we do change that default for "system" perhaps that change should propogate to the WordPress system emails as well? You could offer that as a separate option on the templates page if you think it is important but since you offer a "Style WordPress Emails" option in the configuration page, I presume it is not necessary.

Alternatively, I suppose you could do all template related configuations in the actual Manage Templates page (you could keep the current pages and simply link to it from those if wanting to keep some backward UI compatability).

Just a couple of ideas. Not sure what solution is really ideal, but I do think somehow it can be simpler.