What are the best plugins to improve comments in WordPress?
The comment system is one of the most important parts of today’s website to engage users. It is one of a blogger’s toughest tasks to manage the discussions of the posts and differentiate between the valuable comments and spammed ones. So the bloggers need the best commenting system which can accomplish two things
- (a) Must provide valuable social proof, and
- (b) Should be a great corner to boost reader engagement.
With recently advanced comment systems available for the bloggers, readers can merge themselves to various social media platforms which can engage more and more participants into the conversation. Apart from this many users prefer to use a simple interface for their blog’s comments, but are concerned about these spammers and trolls.
WordPress is popular CMS recognised for its excellent commenting system. The Comment plugins offer the WordPress websites to give a platform for their visitors to either leave a comment or ask their doubts.
Here are some benefits of using plugins:
- Control filter preferences of certain users, Keywords or IP addresses.
- Assist to moderate comments, choosing settings that allow you approve first-time comments, all comments, or no comments.
- WordPress comments are very user-friendly and ideal for the blogger
Here are few best WordPress plugins that you can make your commenting system efficient.
One of the most popular third-party WordPress commenting plugins is Disqus. It is used by famous sites including CNN, The Next Web, Bloomberg, CNBC, The Atlantic, etc.
It offers an easy commenting in an interactive manner while connecting websites and commenters across a thriving discussion community. With its incredible management tools and shortcuts., it gives an opportunity to the users to spend time anywhere while Disqus will take care of the comments. The plugin also contains internal spam filter. The best part is, it ensures that no malware enters the website through the comment section. Users can easily subscribe to the comments for future notifications.
Here are few more Disqus worth knowing features critical for WP Users
- Uses the Disqus API
- Comments searchable by search engines (SEO-friendly)
- Support for importing existing comments
- Creating a backup of comments with Disqus and WordPress database
If you are willing to bring more and more traffic resulting comments, then CommentLuv is the suitable match for you. It has fantastic features to fight against spam, ability to add keywords, integrate twitter link, add a top commentators widget, social enticements. On top of this one can take advantage of advanced backlink feature on every CommentLuv blog. It also allows commenters to add their latest blog post link to their comments. It is an excellent way to encourage commentators to comment on various posts.
CommentLuv plugin is compatible with WP or WP MS version 3.0. Here are some of its advantages:
- Encourage Comments: Rewards your readers and encourages them to come back and comment again
- Unlock Advanced Features: Gives you more posts to choose from on every CommentLuv blog
- Custom Info Pannel: It helps to set your information in the info panel that shows in comments on other people’s sites.
- Dofollow Control: Provides control over the dofollow attribute on commenters links.
- Automatic Updates: It’s one click updates that are available for the life of the product for one payment.
- Click Stats: Help to see which of your links are getting clicks and on what posts they were clicked on.
Jetpack helps to manage WordPress sites by giving the complete visitor stats, security services, speeding up images and improved traffic to the owner. Jetpack is a free plugin but also integrates with paid services like Akismet (anti-spam), VaultPress (backups), and VideoPress (video hosting). Some of the advantages of Jetpack are:
- Jetpack helps to get more traffic with tools like Related Posts, Publicize, Enhanced Distribution, and Sharing.
- It protects your site against brute force attacks and unauthorised logins.
- It optimizes and speeds up images using the global WordPress.com content delivery network.
- Jetpack is enriched with the centralized dashboard which helps to publish posts, manage plugins, menus and view revised site stats for all of your sites.
Akismet is an excellent plugin to check against a database to determine if a comment has any telltale spam markers. It also moves those comments to a dedicated spam folder to review. Akismet plugin reduces not only spam but also legitimate comments which end up in the spam filter.
Major features in Akismet are:
- It checks all comments and filters the spammers.
- It helps to show URLs in the comment body to reveal misleading or hidden ones.
TwitterLink Pro revolves around CommentLuv Premium. It has fantastic features like fighting against spam, adding up of keywords, integrating Twitter link, adding a top commenter’s widget, socially enticements, etc. It also helps to get an advanced backlink on EVERY CommentLuv blog when anyone comments.
Apart from this, Twitterlink Comments provide an advantage for the site’s community members to connect via Twitter accounts! The site owners can reply to the comments through tweets.
Many times there are blogs that lead to a lot of discussions or debates, with which a blogger wants to stay updated. Then Subscribe to Comments Reloaded is the powerful plugin through which users can get email alerts of subsequent replies in the blog posts. The process is simple, they click on the Notify me follow-up comment via Email, and after that, they will be notified when anyone comments. It also offers full-featured subscription manager which your commenters may use to unsubscribe certain posts or suspend all notifications.
This Plugin allows the site visitors to leave star ratings on the Pages, Posts and Custom Post Types when posting comments. It adds a 5-star rating field to the end of a comment form in WordPress which allows the site visitor to submit optionally a rating along with their comments. Each rating field group may have a schema type defined, ensuring the ratings appear on Google Search Results. Schema interprets about the reviews to the search engines.
It is a smart plugin which makes you even smarter. It directly sends a thank you email to your commenters.
A blogger needs to write a message conveying thanks only. It will be automatically emailed whenever you want it to be delivered. It can 20 minutes, a week, a month!
Comments Evolved Plugin offers the comment section tabbed seamlessly by adding tabs for G+ Comments, Facebook, Disqus, WordPress Comments, and Trackbacks. This plugin does not have any adverse effect on SEO, Google.
It offers simple and intuitive interface. The plugin does not provide room for spammers to comment, thus maintaining a clean environment.
A commentator is a WordPress Comments generation plugin. It uses a smart template processing methods to create comments that are unique to each post. Post titles and categories can be spontaneously included in your comments by using title and tags in you comment template. Once installed, this plugin rewards your regular commentators with a prominent link in the sidebar. In addition to generating traffic, search engines usually pick these links up as an inbound link, giving a bonus to your readers who take the time to leave a comment.
Which Comment System is right for you?
Although WordPress is an excellent platform, it still lacks some of the killer features. Commenting is amongst them. Choice of blog commenting system depends on the technology that matches with your blogging platform or content management system. One needs to analyze which one is the most user-friendly for both you and your readers. You should do some research before getting the plugin, or you can even consult the WordPress developer for it. Visit other popular blogs in your area and see which ones gets a higher amount of comments using a particular plugin.
While selecting a Comments plugin, but few basic rules need to be maintained.
- One must ensure that a plugin needs to fit perfectly into the website, both functionally and design aspects.
- Any comment plugin that looks alien to the website is of no use and will force the visitors to quit as early as possible rather than enticing them to comment on it.
- Always remember, whatever comment system you choose, may not necessarily be right or work with each and every blog or community; so make sure that you take a wise decision.
Samuel Dawson is a HTML to WordPress developer in Designs2html Ltd. He has written above the great article on the best WordPress plugins that are used in commenting or improvement in it. Anyone can follow him here: infosamueld