[SOLVED] The use of Multi content area

edited January 2014 in Newsletter plugin
Hi there,
From the newsletter:

Multiple content areas for newsletters and themes has just made anything and everything possible in the newsletter plugin. Before we added this, you had one content area to work with and it was placed in the theme where the content shortcode was placed.

Now you can create unlimited content areas and use them inside the newsletter content block itself, inside one another and even inside the actual theme design you're using. You can also use both WordPress, newsletter plugin and 3rd party shortcodes inside them. Each one comes with a full-blown WordPress TinyMCE editor so you can add media, links, formatting, etc.

I really do not understand why the mentioned examples couldn't be inserted via the existing area.
In other words, I'd like some more info or examples of the benefits this new feature brings.

Thx in advance and grtz!
Ronald

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for your post, Ronald.

The main purpose of this is to be able to have more flexible and complex newsletter theme layouts.

For example, say you have a newsletter theme with 3 columns. 2 columns are sidebars and 1 column is the middle content part. You can then put 3 shortcodes into the theme. In the middle, content column, you can put [wpmlcontent] shortcode and in the sidebars, you'll put [newsletters_content id=1] and [newsletters_content id=2] respectively.

Then you'll start creating your newsletter under Newsletters > Create Newsletter. Whatever you fill into the main editor which loads initially will replace [wpmlcontent] in the theme. Then you'll click "Add Content Area" twice to create two content areas. Then fill in something into the first one which will replace the [newsletters_content id=1] shortcode in the left sidebar and in the second content area fill in some content which will replace the [newsletters_content id=2] shortcode in the theme.

In short, the content areas allow you to create more complex newsletters and do it dynamically without having to edit the theme on the fly. It makes your themes more flexible and reusable as well.

Let me know if that answers it, please?

All the best,
    Antonie
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Antonie,
    Thx for a quick response.
    Yes, that makes things a bit more clear, but I really think it would help to write a tutorial about it. It demonstrates even better, AND for more clients, what the use can be.

All the best,
    Ronald
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for your response, Ronald.

I'm glad to hear that I could provide some clarity on the feature.

We'll make a note here so that we can add a tutorial to our documentation for this.

All the best,
    Antonie