[Solved] 404 when trying to add a subscriber

edited November 2014 in Newsletter plugin
Hello!

I am using the plugin as a sidebar-widget so users can sign up for the newsletter. But, when users are trying to add them self using the form they get served with a 404-page and they don't get signed up.

The site is using Newsletters 4.1.2 - Any idea what could be the problem?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    @matsj

Thank you for your post.

May I please have a link to the page where the sidebar widget is?

Also, can you please consider updating the Newsletter plugin to the latest version?
    That may resolve the problem and it also gives you many new features and improvements.

I look forward to your response.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi, sorry for the late reply.

The Wordpress Core is now updated to the latest version, the plugin as well. 

When a user tries to subscribe and gets redirected from the input-form they should get redirected to the management-section. Which is defined to be domain.tld/manage-subscription/ – but only gets redirected to ?wpmlmethod=optin#newsletters-4 which results in a 404-error.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    @matsj

Thank you for your response.

Can you please provide a link to the subscribe form?

It may be best if you submit a ticket with WordPress login details to us: http://tribulant.com/support/
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    The site is http://steenmedia.no - and the subscribe form is located on the right. 

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    @matsj

You have Ajax on in that subscribe form.

And there is a Javascript error terminating the execution of other Javascript.
    See this please: http://goo.gl/ii9cGQ

It seems you have a theme that doesn't follow conventions/standards. Themeforest theme?
    It is loading it's own, custom version of jQuery which is wrong. It should use wp_enqueue_script('jquery') and use the jQuery that is distributed inside of WordPress for this specific purpose, to prevent conflicts.

You can turn off Ajax in that subscribe form under Appearance > Widgets in the widget and that should resolve the problem so that the subscribe form can submit without Ajax and just use a page refresh.

I didn't see any 404 though.

If you want to use the Ajax, we can attempt to fix the theme for you if you submit a ticket to us but ultimately, the author/developer of the theme has to fix the problem because a correction we make will be overwritten by an update.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    @matsj

I believe this problem was resolved.

WordPress has some reserved words and "name" is one of them.
    Using "name" as the slug of a custom field in the Newsletter plugin causes 404 Not Found.
    It is because it breaks the WordPress rewrite since that "name" word is reserved for rewriting.

We are working on improving this in the Newsletter plugin to prevent all reserved terms from being used as the slug of a custom field in the Newsletter plugin accordingly.

I'll mark this as solved since we helped you with it in your ticket.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    @matsj

We've added this in our latest development to prevent this problem in the future.

The Newsletter plugin will check the slug of the custom field to ensure it isn't a reserved WordPress term and if it is, it will give an error asking you to provide a different slug for it accordingly.

We will release an update soon with this fix/feature included.