[Solved] 100% Read Tracking

edited September 2015 in Newsletter plugin

I raised this as a support ticket a while ago but in 4.5.3 the read tracking was supposed to be sorted. Today I sent out 445 emails and the plugin clains that 444 were read. With an average open rate (normally) of around 20% this is clearly not so.

I jave read tracking turned on and am inserting the [wpmltrack] shortcode so all should be well. Any thoughts?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down

@creativitymatters

Thank you for your post.

So the plugin basically reports that all of the emails were read while it's not the case?

Can you please provide more details on how this email was sent exactly:

1. Were the emails queued from a post/page or under Newsletters > Create Newsletter?

2. Were the emails sent/queued using the Ajax progress or did they go to the queue with a page refresh?

I look forward to your response.

I suspect that the unique key on the emails didn't save correctly and if the emails have the same unique key, they could all be marked as read accordingly if one is marked as read.

I look forward to your response with more details on this, please.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

The newsletters were sent from within the plugin not from a post or page. They were not sent using Ajax.

I sent 445 emails and immediately after sending the open rate was approx 98%. Looking at the stats today all emails appear to have been opened except those that bounced. Normally the (reported) open rate would be around 20%

• Vote Up0Vote Down

@creativitymatters

Just a quick update to let you know that we are currently investigating this.

I'll post back here asap with an update.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

Great stuff.

The other thing that might (or not) be of use is the fact that the read tracking used to work until fairly recently without the [wpmltrack] shortcode inserted.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

@creativitymatters

Excellent, thank you for your patience in this matter.

The read tracking shouldn't work without the [wpmltrack] shortcode inserted.

Did you not have it in the newsletter template or in the content of the newsletter at all?

If not, did you use the default/NONE template for newsletters?

I look forward to your response.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

It appears that the last comment I posted did not actually make it to the forum.

I created my own newsletter template that was based on one of the standard templates. It did not have the shortcode inserted into it. The read tracking used to work then sometime around the start of April it stopped. At this point I inserted the shortcode and found that I had something like a 98% open rate.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

What is happening regarding fixing this? If I cannot track how many emails are being opened then the plugin is next to useless.

• Vote Up0Vote Down

@creativitymatters

It's been a while, sorry for the inconvenience.

We have tested, duplicated and identified the issue with the 100% read tracking on emails sent with the Newsletter plugin.

Great news is that we also eliminated the problem completely and we will release an update shortly with this fix included.