[Solved] Thumbnails missing & General photo storage question

1) I am testing my WordPress site offline (using XAMPP) and was wondering whether the plugin has problems creating thumbnails in an offline situation? For some reason, no thumbnail images show (either in the "Manage Slides" page or the thumbnail slider) and I don't seem to have this test Tom Thumb link. I am running Slideshow Gallery v1.2.3.2 on Wordpress v3.5.1.

2) More generally, if I delete a slide, is the image automatically removed from storage? I just want to make sure I'm not accumulating lots of unreferenced images that is taking up space on my (what will be online) hosting when I add slides for testing and subsequently delete.

Thanks!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi kingtut,

1. TimThumb is built into the plugin so there should be no problem creating thumbnails. It could be something to do with permissions on your local computer not being able to create cache. If you right click on the space where the thumbnail should be and select "View Image" (or whatever equivalent you have), it should show you what the issue is.

2. If a slide is created under Slideshow > Manage Slides and an image is uploaded, then the image is currently not deleted along with the slide. Images are stored in /wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/, so they can be deleted from there. We do thank you for the heads up on this though, and we have added it to our development list to automatically delete the image when a slide is deleted.

I hope this helps?

Best regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the quick response.

1) I've looked in the cache folder and indeed no thumbnails are being created. I viewed the link that is being referenced where I see the non-working thumbnail:

http://localhost/mysite/wp-content/plugins/slideshow-gallery/vendors/timthumb.php?src=wp-content/uploads/slideshow-gallery/Alice_in_Wonderland.jpg&w=100&h=100&q=100&a=t

I've checked the original image file is correctly named. As you may have noticed, I'm running this on a local server but not sure whether this affects the path...is there anything else I should be checking?

I noticed some workarounds in "adding get_bloginfo( 'url' ) . " to the image path, but this doesn't seem to work (but if you insist it works, I'll play around with the spacing again).

2) Great thanks!

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Bah I decided to actually go through ALL the steps of the get_bloginfo('url') and that worked a treat. Please include in future release if you can! Consider this issue resolved - thanks Phil.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for your reply kingtut.

We've added this issue to a work list to investigate and see if we can make it better for a next release - thanks for the heads up.

Glad you managed though.

Best regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    edited February 2013
    also getting this issue, adding get_bloginfo('url') did not work. no images, no thumbnails in backend or frontend. just tiny empty squares where the images should be in the frontend.
    tried uploading images with TimThumb enabled and disabled, still no luck. checked file/folder permissions and everything is in order.
    simply cannot see any images.
    when i upload a slide, it creates the database entry, but no image.

latest versions of everything....
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Bjorn,

Have you right-clicked on the empty squares and selected "View Image" (or whatever equivalent you have)? If so, what did you get? That should give an indication of what is wrong.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Bjorne, I would echo Phil's point about right-clicking the empty squares to find out the problem (for me I just inspected the image path). However, did you follow these instructions PRECISELY:

http://tribulant.com/app/webroot/forums/discussion/209/solved-thumbnails-missing#Item_1

In the first step, don't forget to add the "/" before wp-content so it reads:

get_bloginfo('url')."/wp-content/uploads...

Very easy to miss.

Also there is a THIRD step if you want timthumb to resize your images in the gallery. You need to add:

get_bloginfo('url')./

To the file settings-styles.php (found in /slideshow-gallery/views/admin/metaboxes/ so it reads:

get_bloginfor('url').'/wp-content/plugins/' . $this->plugin_name . 'screenshot-1.png';

Always make a copy of the files before ou make any changes so you don't break your site accidentally!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks so much for that input, kingtut - very valuable!

Best regards,

Phil