[solved] Child Themes

I'm trying to figure out child themes although I can't find any documentation for child themes other than the brief description in Configuration Settings.

Right now I'm just trying to edit the style.css files. I created a sub-directory called 'checkout' under my theme, put style.css in there with the edits that I made but when I view the website, it's still loading up the style.css from the default folder and my changes aren't showing.

I tried turning off Use Theme Style File and then I had no styles at all for the shopping cart.

I also tried to make a change to products/view.php. I put it in wp-content/themes/my-theme/checkout/products/view.php but the changes don't show either. When I upload to plugins/wp-checkout/views/default/products then the changes show.

Is there something else I need to do to make Child Themes work?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi norlink,

According to your descriptions of what you did your child theme should work.

Would you mind giving us admin access to your WordPress dashboard so we could investigate? You would have to submit a support ticket with WordPress login details at http://tribulant.com/support/ though.

If you submit a ticket, please place a link to this forum thread in the ticket as well.

Kind regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    It appears that you cannot place the files within a child theme in WordPress but only within the parent theme. Hopefully this is resolved and we can place the files within our child themes.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi norlink,

Upon reading your first post again I realized I didn't get it right away... did you place the "checkout" folder inside your active WordPress theme's folder?

The "checkout" folder should be placed in /wp-content/themes/, and not inside the active WordPress theme.

I hope this helps?

Regards,

Phil