Moving plugin and slides to a new site

Hi, i am working with your slideshow plugin - it's working quite well. My question is about replicating it in another site. Do I have to go through all the process of again configuring the plugin with the same options, uploading the same pictures, creating the same galleries, adding the pictures to their galleries... or is there an easier approach?

tx.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi anoe,

If you have created many slideshows, galleries or galleries with many slides, you might want to try and "clone" the plugin at the other site. Depending on the way you created your slideshows there are various ways of doing this.

Would you mind sharing with us how you created your slideshows, so I wouldn't have to go through all the different possibilities?

I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi phil,

up to now i have only created one slideshow with 6 pictures, so that's not a big deal,

but my idea is creating different slideshows for different pages. I am working in my development system, and when everything is ready i'll move it to the production system.

So i think the best thing now is if you share which would be the best way to create the slideshows so the moving is the smoothiest possible, or the different possibilities we have, as if we were beginning from scratch.

love
  • Vote Up0Vote Down

Hi anoe,

Thanks for your reply.

The easiest way to create slideshows (and the easiest for moving later on) would be to upload the relevant images to the relevant pages (just upload, don't actually add them to the pages). Then you would use the [slideshow post_id=X] shortcode to display all images uploaded to that page as a slideshow (where X is the current page's ID, of course). Of course this would only work if there aren't any other images to be displayed on that page. If you need to use other images on the same page as well, you could upload the slideshow images to another page (that won't be displayed on the site) and use that page's ID in the shortcode.

If you use the above option, moving your slideshow(s) to another site is very easy. You simply need to install and activate the plugin there, create the same pages and repeat the image upload and shortcodes.

HOWEVER, if you are moving the entire site as it is over to a new domain, the best way to do that would be to:

1. Copy the while file system of the site to the new location.

2. Export the database from the current location to your computer using phpMyAdmin.

3. Open the SQL file on your computer in a text editor and search/replace all instances of the old URL with the new URL.

4. Create a new empty database at the new location and import the SQL file from your computer using phpMyAdmin.

5. Edit the wp-config.php file at the new location to reflect the new database details.

6. If all went well, your site should be just fine at the new URL now, slideshows and all.

Please let me know if this helped, will you? I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Phil

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    ok, thanks to you.

so, I think the best way will probably be creating auxiliar pages just for the pictures. That way i can choose pictures from my Media Library instead of uploading each of them, and when i do the translation just changing the html code for the different aux pages to make the links point to the new site will be enough.

I tried like that and it seems it's working, but now i have another problem, maybe you can help me: the same code ([slideshow post_id="1289"]) that is working in my local set up is not in the production server (of course i change the post_id to match that of the page with the pictures in the production server). So in the production server nothing is showing. [slideshow gallery_id=...] is working, as well as [slideshow] by itself, but not so when i use the post_id. The wordpress version is the same and so is the plugin version (it's an ftp upload from my local site). I've had problems with black boxes showing before, related to permissions in the folders where the pictures where, but it doesn't seem to be related to that in this case. Any idea?

cheers.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi anoe,

Thanks for your reply.

My immediate thought is that it could be a server permissions issue or that your host might be blocking TimThumb, but since you say the other shortcodes do work, it blows those theories of mine out of the water.

It's very odd - it should be working fine if the images are uploaded to that post you reference in the shortcode. Would you like us to investigate for you perhaps? If so, kindly submit a support ticket at http://tribulant.com/support/ with WordPress admin login details and FTP access.

I look forward to your reply.

Kind reagrds,

Phil

Browse Our Amazing Plugins:
    =======================
    - http://tribulant.com/plugins/ (10% discount coupon code: 10OFFP)

Stay Updated on Our Releases, Offers and News by:
    =========================================
    - liking our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/tribulantsoftware/
    - subscribing via email or RSS at http://blog.tribulant.com/subscribe/
    - following us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/tribulant/