Help with Child Theme

edited June 2013 in Shopping Cart plugin
I'm trying to get child theme to work.

I am trying to make edits to the invoice.php file and put it in a child theme so I don't loose the changes when an upgrade comes out.

I put it in wp-content/themes/checkout/email/invoice.php, but the changes aren't showing. Am I doing this right?

Thanks,

Tammy

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Tammy, I ran into this issue last night, from the way the instructions read, it sounds like your supposed to put the checkout theme folder in the same directory as the main wordpress theme.

After some trial and error, I now see that they want you to make a child theme in the plugin's theme folder.

Example: public_html\wp-content\plugins\wp-checkout\views

So just drop your child cart theme there in the views folder, and then in the checkout configuration select it as the theme to use.

I hope this helps. 
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello guys,

In order to make a child theme you must create a new folder called "checkout" inside your active WordPress theme (the one that is located inside: wp-content/themes/). Inside the "checkout" folder you can add any files that are present in the wp-content/plugins/wp-checkout/views/default folder for example: billing.php, shipping.php, etc.

We have a guide on how to do that here: http://docs.tribulant.com/wordpress-shopping-cart-plugin/7186

Please note that we moved the mentioned file: wp-checkout/views/emails/invoice.php to the default folder, so you can simply create a new file called invoice.php inside the "checkout" folder.

Please let us know if it helps ok?

All the best!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've tried it this way, by adding a checkout folder to my active theme directory, I can not get it to take my custom css from that folder. 

The only way I can get it to see any of my custom changes is to make a copy of default inside of wp-checkout/views/ and name it something else. 

Only then does it show up as an option in the wp-admin, if I don't choose my renamed custom theme, it just uses default and I see none of my custom work.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello Travis,

Thank you for your response.

Are you using the latest version of the Shopping Cart Plugin? If so, are you using any child-themes? 

The method you are using is fine but the new one is easier to maintain.

We`ll look forward to your response.

All the best!