Free digital product download with special code

edited October 2012 in Shopping Cart plugin
Hi,

I have a digital product set up that I want to enable people to download for free by entering a code. I set up a discount coupon for 100% but I think this would go towards the whole order. Is there a way to set up a discount coupon for a specific product? Is there a better way to do what I am trying acheive?

Thanks!

Karl

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for your post, Karl.

Do you specifically want customers to enter a code?

What you can do is create a product with a zero (0.00) price on it.
    Remember to add a digital file to the product under Checkout > Digital Files.

Then enable the custom/manual payment method under Checkout > Configuration.
    Turn on the zero priced orders and the mark as paid so that this is used for only zero (0.00) orders.

That way your customers can checkout with a zero (0.00) order in the cart.
    And the download will be available immediately.

Let me know if this helps please!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    I was thinking of a code only because I don't want anyone / everyone to be able to get the digital product for free. I want to offer only to those people that attend my speaking event. "Regular customers" would still need to purchase the product at the listed price.  Will this solution work for that?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for your response!

Ok, you can still follow the same procedure as mentioned above.
    The only difference is that the product will then have a price on it and will not be zero (0.00) priced.
    Then you can create a 100% coupon code to make the price zero (0.00).
    And you'll still use the custom/manual payment method to process the zero priced orders.

Please give it a try and let me know if it works out well!

All the best,
    Antonie
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi krmkarlm,

I'm just following up to find out whether your issue has been resolved?

If so, we would appreciate it if you would kindly post a reply here for the good of the community explaining how it was resolved, and also mark this thread as SOLVED by editing the title as explained in the sidebar on the right.

Kind regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'm following the above directions and running into a problem.

I've loaded my electronic copy into digital files, I've created a 100% coupon and adjusted the custom/manual payment.

When I attempted to purchase the product with the discount as the customer would, I am forced to chose a way to pay and put in my cc info. If I have a customer who has received a coupon for a free copy of an electronic book I don't think they are going to want to put in their cc info. Is there a way to bypass this?

Thank you,
    Avery
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    And, to add to above. When I do put in my cc info it sends me back saying to enter an amount greater than 0.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Phil,

I am not having any success with this or with customers being able to get to the Download Management area.

Karl
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Karl,

Thank you for your reply.

Please correct me if I'm wrong:

You want a coupon code to be able to apply to one product only (in case your customer orders other items as well, they would pay for the others but not for the product you gave them the 100% coupon code for).

If a customer doesn't order anything else together with the item that the 100% discount is applied to, the purchase process should ideally skip the payment stage and go straight to download.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track? If so, we might consider doing a custom rush job development for a fee, if that would interest you.

If you would like us to give you a quote for such a development, please submit a support ticket with the information (as complete as possible) at http://tribulant.com/support/, and we'll get back to you soon with a quote.

I hope this helps?

Kind regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    We would like a discount coupon by product.  We frequently want to include a special on a specific product but can't as the discount applies to the entire order.  
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi,

Thanks for your post.

We have it on our development list to make that possible in the Shopping Cart plugin, but we're unable to give an ETA on that for now.

As mentioned above, we can offer custom development at a fee if features are required in a hurry. If you would be interested, please submit a support ticket with your request and detailed requirements, and we'll reply with a quote for the custom work.

Kind regards,

Phil