using different 'From Address" and "From Name"...possible?

edited December 2012 in Newsletter plugin
Hi -

I have a friend that wants me to send a newsletter to his clients.  Easy to do since I can setup different mailing lists.  However, we don't want the "From Address" and "From Name" to be coming from my server.  I know I can easily change those settings under the General tab, but doing my own research suggests that ISPs might flag a message as Spam if the headers of the email don't match the actual "From Address" domain.

Any suggestions?  How do other email service companies get around this?

Thanks
Michael

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up1Vote Down
    It is in fact one of the criteria among many others that is used to identify emails as SPAM. But it is not an instantaneous thing that occurs. I mean that you will need to send emails with a different "From Address" for a medium period for this to become a problem. One or two newsletters are not sufficient and only some Corporate email clients will take some preventions like blocking images.
    My personal experience
    For long term usage of this method, one way is to use Sender Policy Framework (SPF). "SPF allows administrators to specify which hosts are allowed to send mail from a given domain"
    "Receivers verifying the SPF records may reject messages from unauthorized sources before receiving the body of the message". I think that this method is adopted by the server maintainer, as I didn't have problem sending out newsltters to mailing lists of 15.000 subscribers since two years.

Maybe Tribulant staff can suggests you how to implement it..
    Bye!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    thanks for your input 
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for your posts, guys.

We are working on a little form on the Newsletters > Create Newsletter page where you can change the From Name and From Address according to your needs and a button to test the settings to ensure it works.

The problem would be of course the server that it's sending through. The solution for this would be to include the mail settings in this little form so you can actually change the SMTP details as well as the From Name and From Address.

Would that work for you as a probable solution?

All the best,
    Antonie
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    We're using the last version of the plugin, and I think it´s a great improvement. But  there's still the problem with hosts mentioned by Radanio above.
    A) Do you think it would be better to set SPF records to allow different mail senders
    B) we're hosted on a VPS, would you still reccommend WP mail method over SMTP server for this configuration?
    Thanks. 
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Osvaldo,

Thanks for your post.

A) If you want to send from different "From" addresses on Newsletters > Create Newsletter, you can setup SPF for multiple sender, yes. Best would be to talk to your hosting provider about it.

B) If the SMTP server uses the local mail exchange in any case, then WP Mail should be fine.

I hope this helps? I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,

Phil