[Solved] Mailing list order and layout on subscription form

edited February 2013 in Newsletter plugin
I have a subscription form on a page which is a checklist with many lists choices.
[wpmlsubscribe type="multiple" id="3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28"]

I notice that the lists appear in alphabetical order, but I would love to make them appear in ID order.

Also, given that there are so many possible lists, it makes the page quite long. Is it possible to split the form over two columns? (lists on the left and email, name etc on the right?)

Image of form - here.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi there,

It's currently not possible to order those mailing lists on the subscription form by ID I'm afraid. That is something that would have to be edited in the code:

wp-mailinglist/models/mailinglist.php
    function select()

We are currently working on a new section Newsletters > Forms, where you'll be able to build subscribe forms by dragging/dropping fields, etc... onto it. Choosing which lists to show and in which order to show them will be included. I just can't give you an ETA on the completion thereof though.

You could split the form by copying the source code of the current form, editing it and pasting it in place of the current form, I would imagine (I'm not entirely sure what your current setup is).

I hope this helps?

Best regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down

Hey Phil

Thanks for suggestion of copying source code. Have succesfully managed to do it exactly like I had in mind. I am having some trouble with the tab order of inputs, but I guess  I will keep tweaking.

Am excited about your update. Should make forms easier into future.

Slightly off topic, one thing I notice, and I think this happed before I split the form, when I subscribe to a few lists with the form, I have to activate/confirm each list. Most of my subscribers with be subscribed to multiple lists.

Is this requirement (to activate every list) intended, or have I broken something?

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately the multiple activations//confirmations is the way it works at the moment. Having said that though, it's another thing we're working on. The new feature will make it possible for site admins to choose whether they want their subscribers to confirm each subscription individually, or lump multiple simultaneous subscritions together in one confirmation email.

And again I can't give an ETA on that, but I know it's on the cards :)

I hope this helps?

Best regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Sounds really good, thanks Phil.
    Will make do with current system, but eagerly await the update.

Something I have found, which may on the cards of the future update: 
    Say someone has subscribed, and activated their email to whichever lists.
    If they log into Subscription Manager, and hit one of the subscribe buttons, they have to activate their new subscription, despite having previously activated their email on previous lists.

I guess my suggestion is: once someone has activated their email, they should be able to add additional subscriptions from the Subscription Manager page, without requiring additional activations.

Thanks again Phil for the quick replies.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi,

I assume you're referring to the fact that a subscriber has to enter his email address in order to see the Manage Subscriptions page?

You're not going to believe me - that's also being worked on at the moment, to eliminate the need for that :)

There are a few other very nifty improvements and new features coming, among others a realtime-updating preview (with chosen theme) when creating a newsletter, so stay tuned!

Best regards,

Phil
  • Vote Up0Vote Down

Ok, now you are getting me very excited!

Thanks for the help Phil. Much appreciated.

• Vote Up0Vote Down
    You're welcome :)

Regards,

Phil